What if we want to slow and even reverse the natural process of aging? That’s where StrongPosture® comes in; however, the first step is really looking at our body with a posture picture.
Improvement begins with a posture picture assessment
Posture assessment is the process of benchmarking the appearance of someone’s posture with a simple photo and then analyzing balance, alignment and motion. This is the crucial first step to improving and strengthening posture.
There are a lot of things you can determine with a self-assessment, such as balance points and asymmetries. A professional assessment will go much more in-depth by providing a full analysis of postural observations by each individual PostureZone® (lower extremities, pelvic region, torso and head/neck).
Once you’ve completed your posture assessment, you can begin a program to retrain and strengthen posture. Choose to do it yourself or get professional analysis.
STEP 1: DO A SELF CHECK ON YOUR POSTURE:
An Easy Posture Self Check Using Any Digital Camera
- Get a friend to take 3 pictures of you: from the front, back, and side.
- Stand tall with what feels like your “Best Posture” (Don’t look in a mirror to cheat!).
- Print the pictures, one to a sheet.
- Place a dot between your feet on front and back views, and on your ankle in the side view.
- Fold each paper in half vertically, neatly at the dot.
You’re Done! Now let’s read the results
FRONT & BACK VIEW:
- The two halves of your body should be the same.
- Is your head and/or torso off to one side?
- Are your arms are hanging differently with one further from your body than the other, or one hand is lower than the other?
- Are your hips lower on one side, or further from center on one side?
- If so, your posture is not symmetrical!
- The line from your ankle should pass through your shoulder and ear.
- If your head is far forward of that line, you may have a posture distortion called Forward Head Posture (FHP)
- Is the line running through the center of your hip? If not, it may be time to work towards StrongPosture™.
File the Self Check & Grab Your Calendar!
- Date and file your posture picture where you can find it. This is an important baseline to reference and compare.
- Mark your calendar to check your posture at least every 6 to 12 months.
- During your next check note any improvement or decline.
STEP 2: BEGIN POSTURE EXERCISES
- A) WITH THE HELP OF A POSTURE PROFESSIONAL
- B) ON YOUR OWN WITH STAND TALLER LIVE LONGER’S 7 WEEK PROGRAM
- C) WITH ON-LINE PROGRAM
Posture exercise is one of the best self help techniques.
StrongPosture™ exercise creates an awareness of posture and when performed daily can stretch muscles, ligaments, and other structures that shorten with poor posture; strengthen muscles that weaken; and help people stay active, thereby combating a litany of health issues from degenerative joint disease to cardiovascular and respiratory problems.
Stronger posture helps back and neck pain, and also helps you feel better in general as you breathe deeper, reduce stress, and have more energy. People who regularly do corrective exercises report improvement with problems ranging from knee pain to headaches, and say they even feel and sometimes look, taller and thinner.
Young or old, athlete or couch potato, posture-strengthening exercises are an intelligent LifeHabit for aging well. These exercises are based on contemporary bio-mechanical concepts blended with ancient yoga practices and wisdom. The goal is to become aware of posture as you strengthen posture and balance. StrongPosture™ exercise can be done anywhere and does not require any expensive equipment. A ﬂat wall is necessary as a reference for erect posture, and an exercise ball once you progress through the program.
To change your posture, you need to teach your body a new habit. “Straighten up and don’t slouch” doesn’t work. In order to change how you move, you need to adopt new habits to consciously train new patterns of motion, thereby retraining your body to move better unconsciously as well. Strengthening your posture with daily posture exercises as part of your regular physical activity for just 5 to 10 minutes a day will help you keep moving well as you age.
Do you need Professional Analysis?
Concerned with your self assessment results? Many people opt to consult an expert, especially when their self assessment reveals imbalances. Posture professionals observe posture as a window to assessing the mechanics of how your body is moving, and correlating function with symptoms.
Professional Analysis: A trained eye looking at a posture picture of someone with back, neck and just about any kind of muscle or joint pain will observe asymmetry, compensations and adaptations tied to the cause of the problem by looking at:
- Alignment. Whole-body posture picture photos are taken from the front, back and side, often in front of a PostureZone assessment grid. The vertical and horizontal lines make it easy to pinpoint alignment problems, such as one shoulder that is higher than the other…one arm that is held closer to the body…a head that juts too far forward…or feet that turn in too much.
- Balance. To assess this, the professional will often ask you to perform a couple of balance exercises. For instance, you may need to stand on one foot with the other foot held off the ground, thigh parallel to the floor. This is an important part of your professional posture assessment as poor balance suggests weakness in the core, the band of muscles that encircle your midsection to connect and support the upper and lower halves of your body.
- Gait. During your assessment the posture professional often will observe how you walk. He or she will note how each foot strikes the ground…how the knees flex…and whether the head, torso or pelvis shifts to the side, or moves with symmetry.
StrongPosture® Exercise As Certified Posture Exercise Professionals (CPEP) we’ll analyze the mechanics of how your body is moving with a posture picture as-sessment and then will work with you to create a customized treatment plan that includes exercise to improve your posture. The StrongPosture® exercise protocols we are certified to teach systematically strengthens posture by working on all three elements of posture: Balance, Alignment and Motion. We will focus on one element at a time to build aware-ness and increase your ability to control that element, building a virtuous spiral of pos-tural strength.
Improving posture has been shown to relieve pain and joint stress, while also improving balance, energy levels, functional motion, and flexibility, ability to breathe deeply, ap-pearance, confidence and athletic performance. Subtle changes in posture spreads to all your daily habits, which is why the StrongPosture®exercise protocols we teach have helped thousands to look, feel and perform at their best while minimizing postural and joint stress.
A posture assessment typically takes about one hour. Based on the results, the posture professional can then suggest an individualized StrongPosture® improvement program to improve your posture – so you can look and feel your best, and live an active, pain-free life. Call our office today to schedule 630-232-6400.
Certified Posture Exercise Professional (CPEP®)– Dr. Ginsberg and Staff have acquired posture spe-cialist training through the intensive CPEP® program, created by BodyZone.com founder Dr. Steven Weiniger, renowned posture expert, delegate to the White House Conference on Aging, and author ofStand Taller Live Longer. The CPEP program sets the standard in postural assessment and strengthening posture through focused motion exercise to improve patient/client outcome by improving balance, alignment, functional motion and performance.
SELF HELP WITH Stand Taller Live Longer
Improve posture now!
The 7-week program in this book will strengthen your posture to keep you moving well and pain-free. Dr. Steven Weiniger, internationally renowned posture expert has laid out your plan to build a daily posture exercise routine that is just right for your body. Forward by Dr. David Ginsberg
Stand Taller~Live Longer can truly make a difference not only in how your body moves today, but also how you’ll move 20, 30 and even 40 years from now!
Do you want to be active in your 60s? In your 90s? Research shows the time to start is now!
Want to improve posture?
Computer-bound sitting lifestyle causing bad posture?
Suffer from back pain or leg pain?
Problems with neck pain or headaches?
Ever feel like you “just can’t straighten up”
Frustrated because your body doesn’t perform as well as it used to?
Need to improve balance?
Concerned with fall prevention?
Has “moving wrong” ever resulted in an episode of low back pain?
Concerned with your appearance?
Want the competitive edge?
Teen to Boomer, Seniors to Geriatric, Stand Taller Live Longer provides a step-by-step program you can modify for your desired outcome and ability, and do at home. Order today and get started. Have questions or want to purchase Textbook call us at 630-232-6400.
DO IT YOURSELF KIND OF PERSON-SIGN UP FOR AN ON-LINE COURSE WITH BODYZONE